We’ve come a long way from traveling over the river and through the woods to Grandma’s house each Thanksgiving. Tens of thousands are expected to take to the skies this holiday season to visit friends and family in far-off cities, and that’s bound to lead to congestion.
Boston’s Logan International Airport ranks smack dab right in the middle of Orbitz.com’s list of the 10 busiest airports this Thanksgiving. Check out who else made the list – are you traveling to any of these congested hubs during the holidays?
1. Chicago O’Hare International – Chicago, IL
2. Los Angeles International – Los Angeles, CA
3. San Francisco International – San Francisco, CA
4. LaGuardia – New York, NY
5. Logan International – Boston, MA
6. John F. Kennedy International – New York, NY
7. Orlando International – Orlando, FL
8. Denver International – Denver, CO
9. Ronald Reagan International – Washington, DC
10. Ft. Lauderdale International – Ft. Lauderdale, FL
(Source: St. Louis Post Dispatch)
Tips for Beating the Crowds
- Print your boarding passes at home. Most airlines let you check in 24 hours in advance and print the necessary documents at home. Don’t have a printer? Many airlines are now letting you download your tickets to your smartphones.
- Consider off-site airport parking. Many of these are cheaper and more convenient than parking right at the terminal. You could also consider taking a limo or van service to beat the surface traffic to and from the airport as well.
- Choose alternate airports. Sure, Logan’s sitting pretty on this list, but you know who isn’t? Providence’s T.F. Green Airport or Manchester-Boston Regional Airport in New Hampshire – both only about an hour’s drive from Boston.
- Stay home. Why travel? Make them come to you! Although then you might get stuck picking them up at the airport, and cell phone lots tend to fill up pretty quick around the holidays.
10 Least Busiest Airports This Thankgiving
- Buffalo Niagara International – Buffalo, NY
- Jacksonville International – Jacksonville, FL
- Nashville International – Nashville, TN
- Sacramento International – Sacramento, CA
- Bradley International – Hartford, CT
- Palm Beach International – Palm Beach, FL
- Cleveland Hopkins International – Cleveland, OH
- John Wayne Airport – Santa Ana, CA
- San Antonio International – San Antonio, TX
- Salt Lake City International – Salt Lake City, UT
Thanksgiving on AMP: